Thursday, January 14, 2016

Best Books of 2015

I narrowed my favourites down to 10 books I absolutely adored.
But before I get to my TOP 10 of 2015 a few
Honorable Mensions:

13. Hourglasstrilogy - Myra McEntire
The Hourglass Trilogy is a special kind of trilogy because the story line is connected but every book focuses on different main characters. This way it was like reading a standalone with every book, but I fell into the story right away because there wasn't this slow beginning where the world and story is built.
They were great books to read in between other books, because they were short and quickly read.
I also want to mention the covers, because they are so beautiful.
I think way more people should read them, especially if you like books about timetravel and supernatural abilities.

12. Still Point (Awaken-Trilogy #3) - Katie Kacvinsky

Still Point is the third and final book in the Awaken Trilogy. I have waited to read this book forever and I must say I'm not disappointed with the ending. It was quite surprising and there were aspects I didn't like, but it was like the rest of the trilogy very realistic.
Still Point is in my opinion the most underrated book and is very high on my favourite dystopian reads list. It is very different from all the other dystopian books I've read, but I think that's what I like particularly about it. It's just unique and realistic.


11. Ruin and Rising (The Grisha-Trilogy #3) - Leigh Bardugo
The Grisha-Trilogy nearly made it in my Top 10 last year. It was an incredible trilogy. The writing is very compelling and the world is very well built. It was described very visually, so I could picture it exactly in my mind while reading. Personally I disliked a lot of the characters, although I think they were excellent written and their choices and actions were understandable. All in all it was a great story and a highly recommended read and I'm looking forward to read her new companion series.
Goodreads



10. The One (The Selection-Trilogy, #3) - Kiera Cass
The One is the third installment in the Selection Trilogy. Technically it isn't a trilogy anymore, but I see the additional books more as a companion series. I don't know if I will read the other books. But I really liked the original trilogy. I can see why a lot of people criticize these books, but for me it's still a very pleasurable read. Often I disliked the main character America, but I didn't hate her all the time like a lot of people say. I was a little bit annoyed by the misunderstandings between the main charaters but I think they were still understandable and comprehensible.
Also I think it was a very unique dystopian world. And if you like the bachelor you will love this trilogy/series.


9. Ascend (The Trylle-Trilogy, #3) - Amanda Hocking
The Trylle-Trilogy was a lucky find for me. I just stumbled apon it in my library and thought it was an interesting premise. It turned out to be a very enjoyable read. I loved every single one of the characters. They were so real. I felt like some of the characters were my best friends and wished they really were. And I liked the way the love "triangle" was described. Normally I don't like it but in this book it was so realistic.
Also the books were really funny and a very light read. I also liked the fantasy elements in this book and that the main character wasn't perfect. You could see how she struggled and grew throughout the books. I could really emphathize with the main character. I think it's very unfortunate that there isn't much talk about this trilogy and I wanted to put it out there in the world and recommend it to everyone!
Goodreads

8. Fire (The Graceling Realm #2) - Kristin Cashore

The second book in the Graceling Realm Companion Trilogy was definitively the best book, in my opinion. I like Graceling too, but it wasn't as good as Fire. Still I would recommend to read Graceling first. Bitterblue wasn't as good and a little bit to slow I think but it was nice to complete the trilogy. I just loved this book. It has all the things I look for in a book. A strong female main character, royals, action,...
It was just great and I can't wait to reread it sometime.



7. The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3) - Julie Kagawa
This series was very heart-wrenching. Allison is a great main character. I think it has the most interesting take of vampires I've ever read. It was just the perfect mix of love story, learning how to accept yourself, fantasy and dystopian.
Also the other relationships in this book were incredible. It was alot about trust and "family". Also it was very action-packed and thrilling. And the ending was just beautiful and bittersweet. If you like YA Fantasy or Dystopian you should definitely read this series!



6. Origin (Lux-Series #4) - Jennifer L. Armentrout
I haven't read the last book yet, so you will find this series probably on my best books of 2016 with the last book. But so far I love this series. I can see why a lot of people criticize this series and I also can see the similarities to the Twilight-Saga. But I think it's still a huge difference between them Katy  has a much stronger survivalinstinct than Bella. Also Daemon is way more funny than Edward. And I love the sarcasm in this series. Additionally I always loved the Twilight-Saga (even though you can criticize a lot of points in it) so I don't see any harm if there are a few similarities. And Katy is a great female main character. She actually inspired me to finally start this blog. Can't wait to wrap this series up with the last installment.


5. Clockwork Princes (The Infernal Devices-Trilogy, #3) - Cassandra Clare
I started my year 2015 with reading this Trilogy. And I have to say: What a start in a new reading year! This series was so beautiful. It just gave me ALL THE FEELS. I finished the whole series in 10 days and wanted to reread it right away. And I think I will reread it soon. It's definitely one of my all time favourites and I will come back to it several times in my life. I liked TID way better than TMI. I cried during this series several times. It was heartwrenching till the last page. And William Herondale will always have a special place on my favourite book boyfriends list ;)


4. The Host - Stephenie Meyer
I've wanted to read this for a long time. The host was one of the most interesting stories I've read in 2015. It showed the survivalinstinct of humans. The way it's written is unique because of the two thinking "persons" in one body. So it is dual perspective in one person. Also this made the "love triangle" very interesting since it wasn't really an actual love triangle. I would have loved to read more of the world but it's still a recommandable stand alone (Unless Stephenie Meyer changes her opinion and writes a sequel - Hope dies last). It was very different from the Twilight-Saga and if you are a Science Fiction/Dystopian Fan you should read it!
Goodreads


3. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
I didn't like The Fault in Our Stars as much as most people did. It was an amazing book and I bow to John Green. It was heartwrenching but also beautiful. I cried a lot during the book. I just loved the characters. They showed how hard the daily life can be for people like you and me. I'm a huge fan of dystopian and fantasy books. But it was amazing to read a book in our world that was equally heartwrenching, exciting and thrilling. But these characters fighted against drowning in despair despite their hard life and still were humorous and hopeful against all odds. That was refreshing and nice.


2. Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky-Trilogy, #3) - Veronica Rossi
This trilogy was the most surprising series I'v read this year. It was just perfect. It wasn't incredible or unique but I didn't have any critique point. The story was just perfectly done. The characters were very relatable and the side characters made this series something special. Also I practically flew through this series. I read the whole trilogy in one week. I couldn't wait to see how the story concludes and the end didn't disappoint me. Also I liked the dual-point-of-view. It was very well done and made the love story an even better experience. It was just thrilling, dramatic and (thanks to Roar) funny in between.


1. Champion (Legend-Trilogy, #3) - Marie Lu
The things I loved about this book were pretty similar to the things I loved about Into the Still Blue. But I liked the dual-point-of-view even more in this trilogy. Also the main characters were amazing and I really, really, really liked the love story between them. It was amazing and kind of like Romeo and Juliette. And since they stood on different sides in the beginning of the story it was great to read about it with the different perspectives. The ending just left me there wanting more. It was perfectly left open with just the right climpse of hope that I could imagine the happily ever after without being too corny. It was just bittersweet because it was the end. Also the side characters had such a developed background story that I felt like I knew them. The world building and the political aspect of the story were really interesting and a realistic outcome for the world I think. If you look for a dystopian read YOU HAVE TO PICK THIS TRILOGY UP. It's right there on top of my favourite dystopian series of all time with Hunger Games and Shatter Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment