Thursday, January 21, 2016

Review: Girl of Myth and Legend (The Chosen Saga #1) - Giselle Simlett

I didn't expect to like this book so much but I really, really liked this book. Maybe it's just because I've read Daughter of Smoke and Bone recently but I think it had a similar vibe. I got this book from netgalley and thought why not, sounds interesting.
The characters in this book were great. I really liked the main character. She is strong but not this unrealistic hero you often find in YA fantasy. Also she really acted according to her age I think. Even if she is very stubborn I like her passion about some things. Also I liked the other characters. Even though you get mostly only hints about their backstory you know that they are thought through and that they have a lot of depth. I hope to discover a little bit more history and secrets about them in the next book(s?).
I also liked her relationships to the other characters, especially the one she has with her father. It was not entirely clear what kind of relationship she has to him, but it was nice to develop it together with her. I was amazed at the end when I realized there wasn't really a love story in this book. There is some kind of relationship between the main characters but it isn't just some normal, boring and cliche love story and definitely no insta-love ;)
Also the world-building was amazing. Even though the world is kind of hard to imagine it was really well described. It's a world I would love to really see because I think my imagination do it justice. It seems beautiful and otherworldly.
In the beginning the dual point of view was kind of annoying because it felt like I was ripped out of the story every time the perspective changed. But that was only the case for the first four chapters or something like that. After that it made the story much more exciting and richer. Because of the ever changing perspective the story didn't get boring one time.
I was kind of confused with the sudden action near the end but it was very thrilling. The only thing I didn't like about this book was the end. I hate it when a book ends open and kind of in the middle of the story just because it makes the reader wanna read the next book more. So after the whole excitement I was hoping for a conclusion and a peaceful end.
I also liked the chapter headings. They were kind of poetic and well interlaced in the chapters.
I mainly read this book because of it's cover and I'm glad I did. I just can recommend this book for every YA fantasy fan and I can't wait to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment